.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
Mike McAlpine's Blog-Pond
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
 

Windy City Grill
5751 Byron Center Ave SW Wyoming, MI 49519
616-261-2489

Awesome! I went there with some co-workers (Andrew Wolgamott, Tal Gonyea and Chris House). It was torn between the gyro sandwich and Italian Beef but I finally settled on the gyro. I think the combo (drink and fries) was $7.99 They do it right. Shaving the meat off the rotisserie. Served on a warm pita with onions, tomatoes and tzatziki. This baby was packed full of meat. The guys I was with ordered the windy city club (chicken club grinder), steak grinder, and the turkey club on marble rye. Everyone loved it. The sub sandwiches are huge. We had the humus appetizer. 1/2 pound version was enough for 4 people to share. The only thing I would have changed would be use a bakery-style pita, more like home-made naan, than pita bread typical of what you'd find at the grocery store. The staff was great. The girl behind the counter came out to check on us a couple times. That's not typical of places where you order at the counter. The owner even came over to our table. Henry "the eighth" as he calls himself was cool. You get the feeling that they are really happy to serve you. We jumped at the baklava for dessert. It was was a great finish to an awesome meal. I've looked everywhere in Grand Rapids for a great traditional gyro sandwich and I think I've finally found one. I will be back!
Food: 9
Atmosphere: 8
Service: 10

Labels:


Comments:
Better than average food, not too pricy, very friendly service. Henry is a hoot. Over-all a good addition to the GR area dining experience.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I need a comparison between Windy City Grill and the Gyro King in Downers Grove before I make the 3 hour trip for a gyro and some baklava.

Sounds like you have a little crush on the owner. Do you giggle when he walks by?
 
What kind of ketchup is that?
 
Looks like this blog is done. It was a good run while it lasted.

Always best to go out on top.
 
Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger